Feb 27, 2009

How about that weather? Off-Topic Rant.

This move from Maine to Kansas has been a little crazy. It's a new place with some significant cultural changes, new people, and most notably a different kind of climate. Especially in the winter. I can't say I can complain considering the weather I left in Maine; the foot or more of snow each storm, 5 months of being buried in that snow and shoveling shoveling shoveling, crappy road conditions, bitter cold, and just plain winter depression. These were some of the major reasons I wanted to get out of there for a little while, even if only for a couple of years.

But at the same time, Sandi over at the "Nothing Off Limits" blog really reminded me of what a tease it is for this Kansas weather. Here in Kansas we get snow, it's pretty cold, and the wind is a bitch, but as I look out the window right now, the only thing to identify the season is the bare trees prettily lined along the road. I do in fact know that it's a little chilly outside, much unlike yesterday and the day before of course.

Yesterday and the day before I got my unemployed butt outside and inline skated for the first time since September in the 70˚ sun. This is unheard of back home in Maine. A tragedy really because I love inline skating, I've done it since I was 10 or 11. And to be honest I've never really been good on ice skates. On top of that, no matter what kind of crappy weather you get in Maine, you can't exactly ice skate down the middle of the road. (Except maybe in January 1998.)

Really, there is nothing much better than strapping on the skates, heading out in shorts and a t-shirt with the tunes pumping in the ears, and cruising down the street. So this weather makes it that much more devastating. Sure, I could lace up the skates right now and brave the 23˚ air, but it's just not going to happen, because that would truly suck.

So, to you Kansas, thank you so much for this ridiculous tease weather that you are now giving us. It has my internal season clock all out of whack that will only be remedied by your 100˚ July. Although, as sarcastic and annoyed as I am right now, I'll take your alternating 70˚/30˚ days over that crap season that Maine calls winter any time.

Sorry for the off-topic rant, I know this had nothing to do with music, but it's bound to happen. By the way, job interview #1 is now officially a bust. On to the next…hopefully soon.

No comments:

Eric%20FryeQuantcast
Related Posts with Thumbnails