Apr 19, 2009

Abba-Zaba: Taffy, Peanut Butter, Music In Food

I'm still rockin' this sinus infection so I didn't get much sleep last night and it got me thinking...about Abba-Zaba bars. You know, the chewy taffy with the peanut butter center. You may not agree but I feel that is truly music in food form.

If you've never had an Abba-Zaba you're truly missing out. It's known for it's famous yellow and black checked wrapper and I've read that they are mostly found west of the Rockies. But you can find them at specialty candy stores and sometimes grocery stores all over the country. I'm pretty sure I found my first one at a Shaw's Supermarket in Maine. (That's a complete guess.)

The first time I remember seeing one was in the movie Half Baked when young Thurgood Jenkins (Dave Chappelle's character) and his friends get high for the first time and as they decide to go on a munchy run he pulls a gigantic weed hallucinated bar off the shelf. (Enjoy the clip here.)

KJ got me one on her trip to Kansas City yesterday and I couldn't have been more excited. It's been quite a while since I enjoyed the "long lasting fun" of an Abba-Zaba. It truly was music in my mouth. If you know me or have followed this blog, you know it's hard to go wrong with me and peanut butter, hence "The Peanut Butter Cup Analogy", my fave piece of clothing being a bright orange shirt bearing the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup logo...and oh yeah, I just ate at Fluffernutter sandwich.

(I hope you're following me in this post. First Abba-Zaba, now Fluffernutter. A lot of people don't know what a Fluffernutter sandwich is. An east coast thing as far as I know. It's basically a peanut butter and Marshmallow Fluff sandwich, Fluff being marshmallow creme.)

Yeah, this barely has anything to do with music but I get excited about little things. That's how compelling my life is that moment. With that and being sick it's the smallest things that bring me the most joy. Do yourself a favor and find yourself an Abba-Zaba. Warning to those without strong teeth, it takes some work but it's well worth it.

Rock on!

No comments:

Eric%20FryeQuantcast
Related Posts with Thumbnails